The LWVA Health Care Committee (HCC) under chair, Barbara Pearson, continues the tradition established by longtime chair and super-advocate for health care reform, Jackie Wolf, who moved away from Amherst last year.
- Collected signatures to place non-binding question on ballot in 3rd Hampshire representative district (Amherst and Pelham).
- Campaigned for votes in support of the ballot question on November ballot. (Celebrated 88% vote in favor.)
- Keeping up contacts with local and federal legislators about state and national Single Payer bills. Three members attended Lobby Day in Boston, January 2019.
- Pursued advocacy and education activities—tabling and other campaigning at town events (Farmers Market, Town Block Party, Daffodil Run etc.)
- Created posters, flyers, bookmarks etc.
- Planned an internal education campaign for Amherst and State.
- Chair attended the LWV 2018 Convention in Chicago, participated in organization and presentation of Health Care Caucus; participating in national LWV HCR4US (HealthCare Reform 4 US) ongoing group, with monthly conference calls.
- Worked on update of Amherst Town Meeting resolutions in support of Single Payer in 2000 and 2006, with a new resolution for the new Town Council.
We have added three new members from the League roster, and two student members. We would welcome more members. For more information, comments and suggestions, please contact Barbara Pearson.