I have attended several state League conventions (California, Washington and now Massachusetts) as well as a couple of national League conventions. One part of these that I find especially inspiring is what the Massachusetts League calls “Local League Showcase.” Here we learn about the great programs and activities of other Leagues since the last state Convention while sharing our successful and important actions and events.
Here are some of the other League presentations that caught my interest.
- The Acton Area League’s monthly non-fiction book club, held at a local bookstore, became a magnet for new members.
- The Arlington League, which has a justice specialist, presented a program on local landlord/tenant issues.
- The Cape Ann League holds regular monthly meeting on constitutional issues.
- Grafton just completed a local study of seniors and their needs.
- The Harvard League held forums on affordable housing.
- The Lexington League holds forums on local issues on first Friday morning of each month. The Newton League has a topics lunch on second Wednesdays.
- The Northampton League offered a sustainable agriculture forum following LWVUS study.
- The Norwood League published a booklet on transportation options.
- The Plymouth League conducted a civics bee with a You-tube video.
- The Westwood/Walpole League held a pipeline issues forum.
Leagues at work everywhere!