At its 2015 Convention, the League of Women Voters of Massachusetts adopted a study of Charter Schools, with the aim of creating a position for use in advocating at the state level on this subject.
Here is the current time line for this study:
- July 1, 2016: LWVMA Board will review consensus questions. Contact study committee chair Shelley Drowns if you have suggestions for questions.
- October 1, 2016: Study materials and consensus questions will be available for local Leagues.
- February 1, 2017: Local League responses due to the study committee.
- Early spring, 2017: LWVMA board announces new position, six weeks prior to Convention.
- Late spring, 2017: Delegate vote at 2017 LWVMA Convention.
What are the League's concerns and objectives in doing this study?
- Create policy positions to help resolve the charter school "wars"
- Find some win/win solutions for district schools and charter schools
- Help parents and students who are caught in the middle
- Create better options for students in underperforming school districts
Here are some other resources: