The LWVA’s Racial Justice Committee (RJC) has been meeting bi-monthly since April 2020. We are: Andrea Battle, Lydia de Faveri Spiegal, Rebecca Fricke, Meg Gage, Martha Hanner, Ash Hartwell, Bonnie Isman, Renee Moss, Marcie Sclove, and David Williams.
On March 22, 2021 we held a Zoom Forum of Groups working on racial justice. 185 people attended. This was the beginning of the Amherst Racial Justice Network (ARJN). We have taken more steps to develop ARJN and will see how it all proceeds.
Judy Brooks Conversation Series Programs in 2021-2022:
We have renamed the Brown Bag Series to honor our dear League member, the late Judy Brooks. The Judy Brooks Conversation Series will continue to bring excellent opportunities to learn more about what is happening in Amherst to move racial equity and justice forward. With the blessing of Judy’s family, we are so happy to honor her in this way.
Here was our list of programs from this past year:
- Jennifer Moyston, July 10, 2021
- RJC Presents about CSWG, Oct. 23, 2021
- Community Safety Working Group, December 4, 2021
- LWVA Health Committee, January 11, 2022
- Doreen Cunningham, February 10, 2022
- African Heritage Reparations Assembly, March 13, 2022
- Kevin Noonan, Craig’s Doors, May 19, 2022
- Marcie presented about our work to the state League quarterly DEI Meeting, August 15, 2021
- Oct. 24, 2021- RJC Retreat to discuss priorities for the upcoming year
- Support of Community Safety Working Group’s (CSWG) Intentions and Proposals through letters to the Town Council, meetings with the CSWG, and attendance at their meetings
- Various Letters of Support to Town Council
- And most recently, the highly successful Celebration of the CRESS and DEI Departments on May 22, 2022 at Groff Park. Estimates of 200 hundred people, speeches by the Town Manager, Council members, Community Safety Working Group members, great food and music, and in classic League fashion, excellent planning by Martha Hanner, Renee Moss, Ann Kieser and the whole Planning Team.